Sunday, January 31, 2010

Taking a stand

I blame David Hess.

He was the owner of the gym that I worked out at in high school. He was also a church member and family friend which, apparently, gave him the right to boss me around while I worked out at his gym. He wasn't my personal trainer, as such, but he thought he was. The only thing I got to decided was what cardio machine to use and for how long. Once I was finished with that, he took over. He started me on this circuit training system and pushed me to do the complete circuit more than once each time I came to the gym. He had me doing these weighted calf raises. I hated weighted calf raises! I complained throughout the entire set of reps only to find that because of my bad attitude, he expected me to do another set of them.

As much as I hated to admit it, however, I was really feeling the results. Not too long after I started going to David's gym, I noticed these muscles in my legs that hadn't been there before! My calves, especially seemed really strong and tight. Perhaps my bad attitude and extra reps had paid off!

Every October and November, shoe stores assemble their displays of tall, leather boots that have made it to the "Must Have" list of every major fashion designer's table. They go with everything. But, I have to longingly walk right by those displays. To this day, some ten years after David's weighted calf raises, I cannot fit my calf into these tall leather boots. My calf muscles will overpower any zipper, any day. I hate it. I want those boots. And, I blame David Hess.

Life, sometimes, feels like a pinball machine to me. Little levers of issues and conflict, unexpected traumas, and devastating situations sling me forward and propel me headlong into a maze of flashing lights and ringing bells. The more bumps and bruises I receive, the more points I rack up.

I used to think my job was to fight: fists up, face grimacing, stomach taunt, ready to block the first blow and prepared to deliver the second. I would fling my arms around and yell and curse and say things that I thought would thwart the enemy and his evil schemes to take my joy, convince me of my shallow worth, and destroy me from the outside in. It only led to my exhaustion, usually tears, and always turned into a pitiful cry to God that I couldn't do it; I couldn't fight against an enemy who hit below the belt.

The book of Joshua is like the prequel to the series Band of Brothers. Joshua is one page after another of wars and attacks, lists of kings overthrown, inheritances taken, strategies, war plans, and outcries to God. If the Israelites sought God's divine attack plan, they were given victory. God gave them every detail of how and when to attack the opposition; those who were not in the Lord's army.

A few years ago, I was seeking God's attack plan for the opposition; the enemy who hit below the belt. I recognized that my efforts to fight were in vain. And, I stumbled upon Ephesians 6. I had read it so very many times before, but for some reason, it sounded different to me. Verses 10-18 call us to put on the full armor of God. We are called, once we have put on the full armor of God, to stand. No fists, no words. Just to stand.

"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." Eph 6:11 (emphasis mine)

"Therefore put on the full armor of God so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." Eph 6:13 (emphasis mine)

"Stand firm then..." Eph 6:14a (emphasis mine)

Our attack strategy is to know the Word of God, continually pray, and to STAND. The only weapons needed to carry out this attack strategy against the Prince of Darkness is your Bible, open communication between you and God, and strong legs!

God will fight for us. He does all the hard work. We are to raise our voices in prayer and scripture, dig our heels in, and stand.

We are to stand through the pain of loss and suffering. We are to stand against the winds of lies and deception. We are to stand amidst the lack of understanding. We are to stand among the ruins. We are to stand until He calls us to "Fall Out!"

And, suddenly my perception has changed. Those tall leather boots don't look so appealing. My heart is filled with gratitude that I had parents and teachers and mentors in my life to help develop my strong, sturdy spiritual legs. And, my heart is filled with sheepish gratitude for David Hess and his weighted calf raises that developed my strong legs that have helped me dig in deep and stand up under the weight of an enemy that hits below the belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment